This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HowDoYouHash #CollectiveBias
After a week of early mornings, microwaved oatmeal or a grab-and-go granola bar, there’s something magical about brunch. It invites relaxation and conversation while you savor a cup of coffee and feel the stress of the week slip away. My favorite brunch recipes are hearty and satisfying. Today, I’m sharing a new German-inspired recipe with an American twist: Corned Beef Strammer Max with Fried Eggs and Creamy Cheese Sauce, featuring HORMEL® MARY KITCHEN® Corned Beef Hash.
Strammer Max is one of my favorite German brunch, snack and light supper dishes. The name is a 1920s Berlin street slang word with a debauched meaning that I won’t share here. In a traditional Strammer Max, toasted and buttered bread is topped with ham and a fried egg for a fortifying meal. Strammer Max is an Abelhaus staple for brunch or a light dinner, but I wanted to take it in an American direction with corned beef hash.
HORMEL® MARY KITCHEN® Corned Beef Hash is a flavorful and convenient way to enjoy hash for brunch. Packed with beef and potatoes, it gives my Strammer Max a satisfying savory flavor that pairs exceptionally well with runny fried eggs and an easy cheese sauce.
HORMEL® MARY KITCHEN® Hash is easy to find in your local grocery store. I found mine in the Canned Meat aisle, next to other brands of canned meat. In addition to Corned Beef Hash, HORMEL® MARY KITCHEN® Hash is available in Roast Beef Hash and Sausage Hash flavors.
To assemble my Corned Beef Strammer Max, I started with a quick, four-ingredient cheese sauce. The sauce begins with a basic béchamel, and I began by melting butter and flour in a sauce pan until lightly golden. Then, I gradually whisked in low-fat milk until the mixture was thick, creamy and bubbly. I melted in some cheddar cheese and finished with a hearty dollop of mustard, cracked black pepper and salt. If you’re feeling spicy, add a pinch of cayenne or Sriracha to your cheese sauce.
I set the cheese sauce aside to simmer gently over low heat, toasted up my bread and warmed the Corned Beef Hash in a small skillet. In a nonstick skillet, I fried eggs until the yolks were warm, but still runny. I sautéed the Corned Beef Hash until the edges were crispy and brown and then put the mixture on top of a slice of toasted bread. Next was the fried egg, a generous pour of cheese sauce and a scattering of chopped chives. Heaven. On. A. Plate.
I cut into the bread and hash, bursting the runny, golden yolk over the plate. Corned Beef Strammer Max with Fried Eggs and Creamy Cheese Sauce is everything a decadent brunch should be: creamy, satisfying, comforting, cheesy. HORMEL® MARY KITCHEN® Corned Beef Hash provides the perfect savory base for this absolutely indulgent brunch dish.
How do you hash? Treat yourself and your family to a hearty brunch this weekend with HORMEL® MARY KITCHEN® Hash this weekend. Now through March 17, you can SAVE $1.00 on the purchase of two (2) HORMEL® MARY KITCHEN® Hash products by downloading a coupon at Hormel.com/Coupons.
- Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- ¾ shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can HORMEL® MARY KITCHEN® Corned Beef Hash
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices country-style bread, toasted
- Chives, chopped (optional)
- Begin by preparing the cheese sauce. In a small saucepan, make a roux by melting butter into flour, whisking continuously. Cook about 1-2 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Gradually stream in milk, whisking continously, until all milk is incorporated into roux. Cook, continuing to whisk, until sauce is slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Reduce heat and whisk in cheese, stirring until completely melted. Whisk in mustard and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and prepare remaining ingredients.
- Heat butter in a medium saute pan and warm Corned Beef Hash. In another pan, heat 1 tablespoon butter and fry eggs until desired doneness.
- Lightly toast bread and gently re-warm cheese sauce. Stir in additional milk if sauce is too thick.
- To assemble Strammer Max: Place toasted bread on a plate. Top with ⅓-1/2 cup warmed Corned Beef Hash, fried egg, cheese sauce and chives. Serve immediately.